1.25.2015

HOMEMADE PUMPKIN SPICE GRANOLA (gluten and sugar free)


I needed to use up some pumpkin, so I went into my kitchen and threw a bunch of stuff into a bowl. I was pleased when it turned out to be my favorite I've made so far. I've found that my granola is a little different each time I make it, based on what I have on hand at the time. So don't be afraid to omit or add your own stuff. I still may tweak the ingredients a bit in the future, such as adding a bit less sweetener. Honey is expensive, yo! And I've made granola before with less honey and it was still delicious. 

Also note, I like to make a LOT of granola at once and then eat it for several weeks. So you may want to half this recipe the first time and see how you like it. We'll eat it with apples and peanut butter (as pictured), or thrown in with fruit and yogurt (try adding canned pumpkin too!), or eat it like cereal with almond milk and blueberries (Andrew's favorite). Last night, I even used it when I ran out of coconut flakes to roll my chicken in...it wasn't bad. :)


PUMPKIN SPICE GRANOLA

In a large bowl combine dry ingredients:
  • 5 C gluten free oats 
  • 2 C almonds chopped in processor
  • 1 1/4 C unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1/2 C whole sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 C flax (I used ground, but whole seeds should work)
  • 1/4 C chia seeds
  • 3/4 tsp of sea salt
  • 1.5 T pumpkin pie spice 
In a separate, smaller bowl whisk together:
  • 3/4 C honey
  • 1/4 C melted coconut oil
  • about 1/3 C pumpkin
  • 3 T coconut sugar (I don't think I'll do this next time)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 drop of cinnamon essential oil
Stir in the wet ingredients until the dry ones are well coated. Spread mixture onto a cookie sheet with parchment paper (this recipe filled 3 pans). Bake at 250 for about an hour...but be sure to stir every 10-15 minutes! Store in airtight container after it cools. 


Let me know how yours turns out! :)





1 comment:

Spencer and Celeste said...

Yum! Thanks for posting Rachel!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...